Villas, houses, apartments and land for sale and rent, commercial buildings for sale and rent,... Read more...
Buying and Selling a Used Car in Indonesia
Information on how to buy or sell a used car in Indonesia, with details on the necessary documents...
A website with classified advertisements for secondhand cars:
- Iklan Baris (in Indonesian)
Things to check prior to purchasing a used car
The buyer should check the originality and validity of the following vehicle documents when purchasing a used vehicle:
- Vehicle ownership book (BPKB)
- Vehicle number registration certificate (Surat Tanda Nomor Kendaraan - STNK)
Buyers should also check the general condition of the car and examine details of the car's history through the notes in the service book.
The buyer needs to provide the following:
- Photocopy of citizen identity card (Kartu Tanda Penduduk - KTP) for Indonesians
- Photocopy of passport and stay permit (KITAS) for foreigners, although this may not be accepted by the seller. In this case the buyer will have to purchase the car through someone with a KTP
The buyer should then receive the following from the seller:
- Vehicle registration number certificate (STNK)
- Vehicle ownership book (Buku Pemilik Kendaraan Bermotor - BPKB)
- Receipts, called Kitansi Blangko (three copies)
The receipt should include the vehicle's make, chassis number, colour, frame number and licence plate number. A tax stamp must be affixed to the first copy, which must be signed by the original owner whose name appears on the BPKB. The original owner should also sign the two other copies which must remain blank - these may be necessary by the Office of Motor Vehicles in the event of a future sale of the vehicle.
Registration takes place at the local Office of Motor Vehicles or Satuan Pernibitan Administrasi SIM (Satpas) office. The new owner must take the vehicle registration number certificate (STNK) and the vehicle ownership book (Buku Pemilik Kendaraan Bermotor - BPKB).
A tax has to be paid when registering the car in the new owner's name. This is calculated at approximately one percent of the car's market value. However, However under Bali Provincial Governor Regulation No. 26/2010, no tax is applied for the transfer of registration.
Vehicle registration is renewed annually.